Monday, May 4, 2009

Books, brads, and banter ...

Well, all right; I only added "banter" to keep the "b" alliteration going. Once a writer... well, you get the idea.

I've been psyched this weekend after the discovery of a great book about making books! It's Esther K. Smith's book about book crafting, purchased for me by the Man of the Place, and I'm already head-over-heels for the ideas inside! They're simple ways to make small-to-large, handcrafted books, content not included.

I immediately went to work with plain typing paper and a scissors, and got the techniques down for a 3 by 5" book, a 2 by 2" accordion-style book, and another 2 by 4" book. These all can be generated from single sheets of paper, folded and cut properly. I also crafted a single, multi-paneled 3 by 3 inch accordion-folded book that I wrapped in black designer paper to create a really unique little album-style book. It would really be perfect for gifting, set with individual pictures of family members. Or a neat little alphabet book for a shower gift. 

I also made two small notebooks, using the simplest form of the beginner book folding technique, designer paper covers, and brads to hold it together. I presented the first one to the Man of the Place in thanks, and he loves it. He plans to use it for taking notes during his martial arts lessons. If I can wrestle it away from him for a few seconds, I'll scan it it in for y'all. And yes, I'm still waiting on batteries for the camera.

Finally, a note about brads: I'm now completely in love with these little decorative elements. As a journalist by trade, and therefore, a book-o-phobe (there's gotta be a better word for that), I love how I can use brads to bind and hold things together. However, just lately, I've been using them purely for decoration on certain cards. I'm also using them on the belly-bands that keep the accordion-style books and mini-albums together. There's a beautiful line of decorative brads available through Stampin' Up!, and I'll have to get some more.

That reminds me: Paper's on sale this month! Buy three designer packs and get one free. Check out my other web site: http://harmonyshouse.stampinup.net  for more details.

Peace!

No comments: