Thursday, January 7, 2010

Creating a Gate

I love this layout, which I spied on my cousin Sara's blog this week. So I decided to try it out on a card:
Materials: Soft Suede and Crushed Curry cardstock; Vintage Vogue stamp set; Basic Black and Creamy Caramel Classic Ink Pads; Circle Fire Rhinestone brads; Fundamental Phrases stamp set; Modern Label punch.

As I finished it, I thought about how easy it would be to turn this layout into a gate card, which involves having two flaps meet in the middle of the front of your card. So I created this:
Materials: Old Orchid and Very Vanilla cardstock; Vintage Vogue and Four Square stamp sets; Rich Razzleberry and Creamy Caramel Inks.

Gate cards are really simple to make. Start by cutting your card stock lengthwise, so that you have a piece of base cardstock 4.25 by 11 inches. Turn with the 11 inch long side facing you, and score at 2 and 7.5 inches. Fold on score lines, and adhere your next layer of paper to the front of each flap, like this:
Next, cut your center piece, which will hold the card shut when you're finished, and place your next layer, embellishing that piece, as you go. A plain gate would look like this:



Finally, adhere your gate to the left flap of your card, being careful that you only use adhesive on the left half of the back of your center piece. Below is the finished sample; I've embellished with more Vintage Vogue stamping, Rich Razzleberry and Creamy Caramel Inks, and two flowers embossed and die cut with the Flower Burst Embosslits die for the Big Shot. (Ignore my smudgy sentiment on this sample, please.)
There! Creating a gate is an easy way to breathe new life into your card designs.

Peace!

Amy

No comments: